Mike Cernovich Urges Media Matters Boycott of Disney After James Gunn Rehired

Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.

Mike Cernovich urged Media Matters for America to launch a boycott against Disney on Friday after the announcement that the Mouse House had decided to re-hire James Gunn to write and direct “Guardians of the Galaxy 3.”

“Disney’s rehiring of James Gunn presents an excellent opportunity for Angelo Carusone and Media Matters to show they are principled fighters for social justice,” Cernovich told TheWrap. “I eagerly await joining Media Matters’ boycott of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3.’”

“What James Gunn said is worse than anything Tucker Carlson or anyone else has said. The left doesn’t care and isn’t sincere,” Cernovich tweeted Friday.

As TheWrap previously reported in July 2018, Disney cut ties with Gunn after Cernovich and others uncovered numerous old tweets from the director talking about rape and pedophilia.

Also Read: James Gunn Returns to Direct, Write ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3’

Reps for Media Matters directed TheWrap to their past reporting on Cernovich’s past remarks. 

The quote from Cernovich is a reference to the liberal watchdog group’s long history of targeting Fox News stars for advertiser boycotts over their on-air remarks and the group’s recent efforts dredging up past embarrassing statements from primetime host Tucker Carlson.

“The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios,said in a statement at the time.

Gunn himself also apologized for the remarks, saying in a statement of his own that he had been joking.

Also Read: James Gunn in Talks to Direct ‘The Suicide Squad’

“Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor,” Gunn wrote in a series of tweets. “In the past, I have apologized for humor of mine that hurt people. I truly felt sorry and meant every word of my apologies.”

The tweets from Gunn came mostly from a period between 2008 and 2011.

“Expendables is so manly I f–ed the s–t out of the p—y boy next to me,” he wrote in one.

“The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!’” he wrote in another.

There were many more which have since been deleted.

Also Read: Fans Pay for ‘Rehire James Gunn’ Billboard Near Disneyland

From the moment they originally dropped Gunn, Disney faced pressure from Hollywood stars — including from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise — to reverse the decision.

Dave Bautista, who stars as Drax in the “Guardians” films, decried the decision saying on Twitter that it was “pretty nauseating” being employed for Disney after it bowed to “a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis.”

“It’s a bitter-sweet conversation — um, no it’s a bitter-bitter conversation because I’m not really happy with what they’ve done with James Gunn,” Bautista said on “The Jonathan Ross Show” in August, 2018. “They’re putting the movie off. It’s on hold indefinitely. To be honest with you I don’t know if I want to work for Disney.”

Bautista did not immediately respond to request for comment from TheWrap.

Related stories from TheWrap:

After James Gunn Ouster, Mike Cernovich Turns Toward Comedians Patton Oswalt, Michael Ian Black

Meet Mike Cernovich, the Right-Wing Provocateur Who Got James Gunn Fired

Mike Cernovich Wants to Buy Gawker — Here’s How He Would Monetize It

Los Angeles Times Cuts Freelancer Who Harassed Mike Cernovich on Twitter

James Gunn On ‘Guardians’ Return: “From The Bottom Of My Heart, Thank You”

Read on: Deadline.

James Gunn has responded after Deadline broke the news today that Disney has reinstated him as writer-director of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, after the studio fired him off the threequel last July when old tweets surfaced that made light of pedophilia a…

James Gunn Thanks Disney for His ‘Guardians’ Return: ‘I Am Always Learning’

Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.

In his first tweet back since being fired, James Gunn has thanked Disney and his fans for being rehired to direct and write “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” and said he is “always learning” about how he can be “the best human being I can be.”

“I am tremendously grateful to every person out there who has supported me over the past few months. I am always learning and will continue to work at being the best human being I can be,” Gunn said Friday on Twitter. “I deeply appreciate Disney’s decision and I am excited to continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all. I have been, and continue to be incredibly humbled by your love and support. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Love to you all.”

Disney reinstated Gunn on Friday after firing him from the third film in Marvel’s “Guardians” franchise last July when online critics discovered years-old tweets in which he joked about rape and pedophilia. Gunn apologized and said he had grown as a person in the years since the jokes. Despite calls from many fans to reinstate him, Disney made clear at the time that Gunn would not direct the third “Guardians of the Galaxy.”

Also Read: James Gunn Returns to Direct, Write ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3’

Disney said in a statement from Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn that the jokes were “indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values.” According to an individual with knowledge, the decision to rehire Gunn was made months ago following conversations.

In January, TheWrap reported that Gunn was in talks to direct “The Suicide Squad” for DC. The sequel to 2016’s “Suicide Squad” will hit theaters on August 6, 2021, Warner Bros. announced Wednesday. Peter Safran and Charles Roven will produce. He will complete this film first, with production to start in September, before returning to Disney for “Guardians 3.”

As TheWrap first reported, Gunn wrote the script for “The Suicide Squad.” The film is said to have a completely new take on the property, in which DC supervillains are recruited by the government to carry out secret missions too dirty for the likes of Superman and Batman.

The “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise has made over $700 million at the box office, with the last installment scoring an opening weekend of $146 million two years ago.

Related stories from TheWrap:

Idris Elba in Talks to Replace Will Smith as Deadshot in ‘Suicide Squad’ Sequel

‘Suicide Squad’ Sequel Scores Summer 2021 Release Date

Did Margot Robbie Tease a Secret About Will Smith in ‘Suicide Squad 2’? (Video)

James Gunn Returns to Direct, Write ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3’

Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.

Disney has reinstated James Gunn to write and direct “Guardians of the Galaxy 3,” an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

Gunn was fired from Disney’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise last July after online critics discovered years-old tweets in which he joked about rape and pedophilia. Gunn apologized and said he had grown as a person in the years since the jokes. Despite calls from many fans to reinstate him, Disney made clear at the time that Gunn would not direct the third “Guardians of the Galaxy.”

Disney said in a statement from Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn that the jokes were “indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values.” According to an individual with knowledge, the decision to rehire Gunn was made months ago following conversations.

Also Read: James Gunn in Talks to Direct ‘The Suicide Squad’

In January, TheWrap reported that Gunn was in talks to direct “The Suicide Squad” for DC. The sequel to 2016’s “Suicide Squad” will hit theaters on August 6, 2021, Warner Bros. announced Wednesday. Peter Safran and Charles Roven will produce. He will complete this film first, with production to start in September, before returning to Disney for “Guardians 3.”

As TheWrap first reported, Gunn wrote the script for “The Suicide Squad.” The film is said to have a completely new take on the property, in which DC supervillains are recruited by the government to carry out secret missions too dirty for the likes of Superman and Batman.

The “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise has made over $700 million at the box office, with the last installment scoring an opening weekend of $146 million two years ago. Both films were highly praised by critics and fans alike.

Also Read: Will Smith Exits James Gunn’s ‘Suicide Squad’ Sequel

Dave Bautista, who plays Drax in the “Guardians” films, was vocal about Gunn’s firing. Bautista tweeted that it was “pretty nauseating” working for Disney after it empowered “a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis.”

“It’s a bitter-sweet conversation — um, no it’s a bitter-bitter conversation because I’m not really happy with what they’ve done with James Gunn,” Bautista said on “The Jonathan Ross Show” last August. “They’re putting the movie off. It’s on hold indefinitely. To be honest with you I don’t know if I want to work for Disney.”

Deadline first reported the news.

Related stories from TheWrap:

Fans Pay for ‘Rehire James Gunn’ Billboard Near Disneyland

James Gunn in Talks to Write ‘Suicide Squad 2’ for DC; May Also Direct (Exclusive)

Dave Bautista Calls Out Disney Over Report James Gunn Won’t Be Rehired

Gilbert Gottfried seems pissed he wasn’t asked to be in the live-action Aladdin

Read on: The A.V. Club.

Most people remember Disney’s endearing Aladdin as a showcase for Robin Williams’ Genie, a near-perfect vehicle for harnessing the comic’s freewheeling id to an affectionate and sentimental character. But in the wake of the live-action remake, a number…

Marvel Reissues New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Poster After Backlash From Danai Gurira Credit Omission

Read on: Deadline.

Disney/Marvel released a new poster for Avengers: Endgame following the backlash from earlier today after fans noticed that Danai Gurira, while featured on the poster, was the only cast member not credited on the top line of the poster.
“She shou…

Danai Gurira’s Name Was Left Off the New Poster for ‘Avengers: Endgame’ and People Are Not Happy About it

Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.

The new trailer for “Avengers: Endgame” is thrilling fans because of all the action and drama it includes, but the film’s poster is being called out for what it fails to include: The name of Danai Gurira, one of the film’s stars.

Gurira’s character, Okoye, appears on the poster, but her name isn’t at the top alongside the names of her co-stars.

It’s an especially notable lapse because Gurira is one of only three female characters pictured, and one of two black characters. She is the only black woman on the poster. Additionally, her character, Okoye, is the only one on the poster to have appeared in the film that was just nominated for Best Picture, “Black Panther.”

Marvel

“Black women always get the short end of the stick. Why isn’t @DanaiGurira’s name on here but everyone else’s is? Literally everyone else but her. Tf?!,” said one of many people who complained on Twitter.

“Every actor who appears on the poster has their name listed at the top………except Danai Gurira, the one Black woman,” said another.

Marvel did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.

The poster features the likenesses and names of Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Chris Evans (Captain America), Mark Ruffalo (The Hulk), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye), Don Cheadle (War Machine), Paul Rudd (Ant-Man), Brie Larson (Captain Marvel), Karen Gillan (Nebula), Bradley Cooper (Rocket Raccoon) and Josh Brolin (Thanos).

Also Read: 10 Major Takeaways From That Super Exciting New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Trailer

“UGHHH. i freakin’ love @DanaiGurira, and she deserves to be listed AT THE TOP too. please explain @MarvelStudios,” another fan wrote.

“Why isn’t @DanaiGurira ‘s name not on the top of the poster ??? @Marvel. Put some respect on her name,” one user said.

The new trailer for the film has racked up nearly six million views on YouTube and is the No. 1 trending video on the site, since being dropped early Thursday morning.

Disney will release “Avengers: Endgame” in theaters on April 26.

Related stories from TheWrap:

Jimmy Fallon Hooks Mark Ruffalo Up to a Lie Detector to Uncover ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Secrets (Video)

Let’s Talk About Why the Avengers Are Wearing Those White Suits in the New ‘Endgame’ Trailer

Watch the Avengers Totally Go Off in New ‘Endgame’ Trailer (Video)

Marvel to Develop Animated Series for Disney+ Based on ‘What If’ Comics

Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.

Marvel Studios is producing an animated TV series for the Disney+ streaming platform based on the series of “What If” comics, an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

/Film says that the episodes will involve popular Marvel Cinematic Universe characters in alternate histories from what we’ve previously seen in the films, but these stories will not be considered “canon” to the MCU. Kevin Feige is overseeing the series for Marvel.

The “What If” comic book series were stories that explored an alternate history from established comic book storylines and lore. /Film says that one of the confirmed episodes will be an adaptation of “What If? Vol. 1 #47” titled “What If Loki Had Found the Hammer of Thor?”

Also Read: ‘The Mandalorian’: Disney+ Wraps Filming on Jon Favreau’s ‘Star Wars’ TV Show

The “What If” comics originated in 1977 and have continued in runoffs since then, and the stories have been used to either provide fan service, settle long-running comics debates or imagine ways to tell otherwise impossible or outlandish stories. They range from imagining if all the X-Men had been killed on their first mission, to Jessica Jones joining the Avengers or Spider-Man joining the Fantastic Four, to Iron Man being sent back in time to the time of King Arthur.

The Disney+ animated series, however, will primarily focus on alternate universe stories based on the established Marvel Cinematic Universe films.

As an animated series, it opens the door for existing Marvel talent to reprise their roles in voice work. It was reported in September that Marvel was planning a pair of live-action shows based on MCU characters Loki and Scarlet Witch, with their original actors Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen expected to reprise their parts. No talent has yet been confirmed for the “What If” series.

The news of the series was first reported by /Film.

Related stories from TheWrap:

‘Captain Marvel’: Does Nick Fury’s Tape Trick Actually Work?

It’s Super Weird That ‘Captain Marvel’ Doesn’t Have Anything to Do With ‘Avengers: Endgame’

‘Captain Marvel’ Also Introduced Us to a Major Future Marvel Superhero

‘Captain Marvel’ Flying Past $500M Worldwide Today; MCU Tops $18B

Read on: Deadline.

Currently standing at $490M worldwide through Monday, Disney/Marvel’s Captain Marvel will cross the $500M mark globally when today’s figures are tallied. Already yesterday, Carol Danvers helped push the Marvel Cinematic Universe past $18B in global gro…

Apple’s Streaming Service on Track to Have 100 Million Subscribers in 3-5 Years, Analyst Says

Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.

Apple’s long-awaited streaming service is expected to acquire more than 100 million subscribers in the five years after its launch, according to a report released Tuesday morning.
“If Apple executes with minimal speed bumps and aggressively…

‘Captain Marvel’s Marvelous $11M+ Monday; Eyes Super $70M Second Weekend

Read on: Deadline.

After a dry winter, it’s nice to see a double-digit-grossing weekday, which is exactly what Disney’s Captain Marvel did yesterday grossing an estimated $11M+ in early morning reports. That’s the third best Monday ever in March after 2…

Will Smith Plays Matchmaker in Disney’s New ‘Aladdin’ Trailer (Video)

Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.

Fans and and skeptics were treated to the first full trailer for Disney’s “Aladdin” movie on Tuesday morning, and got a much closer look at Will Smith’s Genie.

In the two-minute-plus trailer, the live-action movie’s namesake, played by newcomer Mena Massoud, is lured by the promise of enough riches to impress a princess (namely Naomi Scott’s Jasmine), but for that he has to venture into the Cave of Wonders and return with a magic lamp.

And of course there’s a catch, in the form of Smith’s giant blue-hued genie.

Also Read: Will Smith Checks Skydiving Off His Bucket List in New Facebook Watch Series

Smith’s Genie is part magic-maker and part matchmaker as he reminds Aladdin that “you look like a prince on the outside, but I didn’t change anything on the inside.”

Are we watching a Disney film or Monday night’s “The Bachelor”?

The new trailer also pays homage to the 1992 animated movie by closing out with a heartfelt rendition of “A Whole New World.”

Also Read: Relax, Everyone – Will Smith Says His ‘Aladdin’ Genie Is ‘Gonna Be Blue’

Guy Ritchie directs from a script by John August and Ritchie.

The film also stars Marwan Kenzari as Jafar, the powerful sorcerer; Navid Negahban as the Sultan concerned with his daughter’s future; Nasim Pedrad as Dalia, Princess Jasmine’s free-spirited best friend and confidante; Billy Magnussen as the handsome and arrogant suitor Prince Anders; and Numan Acar as Hakim, Jafar’s right-hand man and captain of the palace guards.

The film is produced by Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich with Marc Platt and Kevin De La Noy serving as executive producers.

“Aladdin” flies into theaters on a magic carpet on May 24.

Related stories from TheWrap:

John Oliver Compares Brexit ‘Disaster’ to Will Smith’s Genie in Live-Action ‘Aladdin’ (Video)

‘Aladdin’: Here’s the First Full Look at Will Smith’s Genie (Video)

Relax, Everyone – Will Smith Says His ‘Aladdin’ Genie Is ‘Gonna Be Blue’