We’ve been getting “Predator” movies for more than three decades at this point, and Fox is hoping that Shane Black’s “The Predator” will give the franchise a much-needed nudge to keep it going for a while longer. So how does the new flick stand up against all the “Predator” movies that have come before?
6. “Predators” — This is the only one of these movies that I actively dislike. It’s just boring and weirdly dour. “Predators” is ultimately too moody to really be fun, and that’s immensely frustrating.
5. “Alien vs. Predator” — I quite like Paul WS Anderson’s crossover with the “Alien” franchise, but there’s no denying that it’s held back by its PG-13 rating. The gore is constantly just offscreen, leaving you with a nagging feeling that something was missing the whole time.
4. “Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem” — “Requiem” gets a bum rap because it has the feel in a lot of ways like a direct-to-video sequel. But it’s so gross and fun that I could never dislike it.
3. “Predator” – Just a really fun 80s action movie. In a vacuum I might rank it higher, but Arnold was in so many bizarre and awesome action movies that this one feels a little bit mundane in comparison to the rest of his filmography. And also in comparison to the other “Predator” movies.
2. “Predator 2” — I prefer Danny Glover’s battle with a Predator over the original because the novelty value is much higher, being set in LA. It’s sheer madness, and I love it.
1. “The Predator” — It may be a controversial pick, but I don’t care. Shane Black’s movie is a mess, but it’s totally gleeful, totally fun and totally funny. It’s a great time, so long as you remember this is an awesome trashy franchise.