6 Movies to Watch If You Loved ‘The Girl on the Train’ (Videos)
1. “The Hand That Rocks the Cradle” (1992) Starring Rebecca De Mornay as a babysitter gone psycho, this 1990s thriller contains many of the same elements as “The Girl on the Train”: There’s a baby, a nanny, an idyllic suburban setting, and a mentally disturbed lead character.
2. Fatal Attraction (1987) An extra marital affair becomes life threatening in this six-time Oscar-nominated film starring Glen Close and Michael Douglas. Also involving murderous themes and a mentally unbalanced leading lady, “The Girl on the Train” covers cheating, too.
3. “Single White Female” (1992) Jennifer Jason Leigh plays a woman who takes her jealousy too far in this roommate-themed thriller. Anyone who’s seen “The Girl on the Train” knows Emily Blunt also plays a woman whose envy takes her over the edge.
4. “Gone Girl” (2014) Like “The Girl on the Train,” this movie starring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike is also based on a similarly-themed best-selling novel in which none of its lead characters are deeply flawed.
6. “The Crush” (1993) Before Alicia Silverstone starred in the teen classic “Clueless,” she played a 14-year-old bent on seducing a married writer, played by Cary Elwes. As he rebuffs her advances in the thriller, her unhealthy obsession turns dangerous — which is essentially the premise of “The Girl on the Train.”