Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.
Sorry “Supernatural” fam, but saving “Wayward Sisters” doesn’t look like a possibility right now. Actually, expanding the show’s universe at all might be impossible, according to The CW president Mike Pedowitz, who said during the Television Critics Association press tour Monday he was “concerned” the franchise may not exist beyond stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles.
“We were very happy with the women who were in the ‘Wayward Sisters’ spinoff,” Pedowitz said while responding to a reporters query about why they passed on the female-driven series this pilot season, while stacking their deck for their expanded seven-night primetime lineup.
“We had only a certain number of slots this year, so it just didn’t get there,” he continued. “If it’s a good idea and they wanna go forward with [it] we’re open to listen. It is a great franchise. I am concerned, to be quite candid with your question, ‘Supernatural’ may be Jared and Jensen — and there may not be a franchise beyond that.”
“Wayward Sisters” is The CW’s most recent — and now maybe last — attempt to spinoff “Supernatural.” They previously tried a backdoor pilot spinoff in 2014, titled “Supernatural: Bloodlines.”
The question of why the younger-skewing network did not order the “Wayward Sisters” spinoff pilot to series came about after the standard — but at this point unnecessary — “Will there be more ‘Supernatural’?”
Oh, in case you were wondering, Pedowitz let another reporter field that one for him with, “They’ll do the show while the boys still want to do it,” following up with, “That’s correct.”