Javier Bardem Supports Woody Allen and Says He’s ‘Absolutely Not’ Ashamed They Worked Together

Bardem starred opposite Scarlett Johansson and Penélope Cruz in Allen’s “Vicky Cristina Barcelona.”

Javier Bardem is standing by Woody Allen amid industry backlash against the writer-director over a sexual abuse accusation made by his adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow. Bardem spoke with French publication Paris Match and said he is “absolutely not” ashamed to have worked with Allen on the 2008 comedy-drama “Vicky Cristina Barcelona.”

“If there was evidence that Woody Allen was guilty, then yes, I would have stopped working with him, but I have doubts,” Bardem said about the allegation and Hollywood’s critical reaction to Allen over the last several months.

Farrow has long accused Allen of molesting her as a child. Her allegation resurfaced in the height of the #MeToo movement. Allen denies the accusation is true. Many actors who worked with Allen have spoken out against the director and/or have expressed regrets over working with him, including Greta Gerwig, Ellen Page, Griffin Newman, and Hayley Atwell. Actors Rebecca Hall and Timothée Chalamet announced they would be donating their salaries for working on Allen-directed features to anti-harassment charities.

“I am very shocked by this sudden treatment,” Bardem said about the response. “Judgments in the states of New York and Connecticut found him innocent. The legal situation today is the same as in 2007.”

Bardem joins Diane Keaton and Alec Baldwin in supporting Allen. The actor will be heading to Cannes next month as a cast member in Asghar Farhadi’s opening night film “Everybody Knows,” in which Bardem stars opposite Penélope Cruz. Cruz and Bardem both starred in Allen’s “Vicky Cristina Barcelona.”

As for Allen, the director wrapped production on his latest feature, “A Rainy Day in New York,” in the fall. The film currently does not have any release date planned, nor has Allen announced a movie to shoot in 2019. The director’s last effort, the Kate Winslet-starring “Wonder Wheel,” opened last December.

‘Hacksaw Ridge’ Producer Bill Mechanic Resigns From Film Academy Board

Bill Mechanic, chief executive of Pandemonium Films, has exited the board of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, an Academy spokesperson confirmed to TheWrap.

“The Academy thanks William Mechanic for his five years of service on the Board of Governors, where he represented the members of the Executives Branch,” the spokesperson said in a statement provided to TheWrap.

The “Hacksaw Ridge” and “Coraline” producer declined to explain the reason for his resignation to Variety, which first reported his exit on Tuesday. A representative for Mechanic did not immediately respond to a request for comment from TheWrap. The Academy spokesperson also did not immediately reply when asked why Mechanic resigned.

But in an interview in December, Mechanic was critical of the Academy’s new code of conduct addressing sexual misconduct within the industry. “This should be left to the companies people work for and to the police,” Mechanic told Vanity Fair. “Six months ago, all the moral police were silent. Was it wrong for people to be silent six months ago? Yes. Is it wrong to go overboard now? Yes. What you want is rationality to the process.”

Also Read: SAG-AFTRA Issues New Rule: No More Auditions in Private Hotel Rooms

Late last year the Academy updated its standards of conduct, vowing disciplinary action, “including suspension or expulsion,” for misconduct such as abuse of authority and power, harassment, and discrimination. The Academy enacted a new policy for reporting misconduct in January.

The Academy’s new standards were tested in March after Academy President John Bailey was accused of sexual harassment. Following an investigation, the Academy “unanimously determined” no action was warranted and that Bailey should remain in his post.

Also Read: Academy President Denies Sexual Harassment Accusations: ‘False Narrative Leaked to the Press’

Mechanic, former top executive at Paramount, Disney and chairman and CEO of Fox Filmed Entertainment, most recently produced the 2017 best picture-nominated “Hacksaw Ridge” and even co-produced the awards show in 2010.

Related stories from TheWrap:

Katie Couric Talks Matt Lauer, Sexual Harassment at TheWrap’s Power Women Breakfast Austin

Disney Theatrical President Thomas Schumacher Accused of Sexual Harassment

SAG-AFTRA Issues Code of Conduct in Response to Sexual Harassment Climate

Bill Mechanic, chief executive of Pandemonium Films, has exited the board of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, an Academy spokesperson confirmed to TheWrap.

“The Academy thanks William Mechanic for his five years of service on the Board of Governors, where he represented the members of the Executives Branch,” the spokesperson said in a statement provided to TheWrap.

The “Hacksaw Ridge” and “Coraline” producer declined to explain the reason for his resignation to Variety, which first reported his exit on Tuesday. A representative for Mechanic did not immediately respond to a request for comment from TheWrap. The Academy spokesperson also did not immediately reply when asked why Mechanic resigned.

But in an interview in December, Mechanic was critical of the Academy’s new code of conduct addressing sexual misconduct within the industry. “This should be left to the companies people work for and to the police,” Mechanic told Vanity Fair. “Six months ago, all the moral police were silent. Was it wrong for people to be silent six months ago? Yes. Is it wrong to go overboard now? Yes. What you want is rationality to the process.”

Late last year the Academy updated its standards of conduct, vowing disciplinary action, “including suspension or expulsion,” for misconduct such as abuse of authority and power, harassment, and discrimination. The Academy enacted a new policy for reporting misconduct in January.

The Academy’s new standards were tested in March after Academy President John Bailey was accused of sexual harassment. Following an investigation, the Academy “unanimously determined” no action was warranted and that Bailey should remain in his post.

Mechanic, former top executive at Paramount, Disney and chairman and CEO of Fox Filmed Entertainment, most recently produced the 2017 best picture-nominated “Hacksaw Ridge” and even co-produced the awards show in 2010.

Related stories from TheWrap:

Katie Couric Talks Matt Lauer, Sexual Harassment at TheWrap's Power Women Breakfast Austin

Disney Theatrical President Thomas Schumacher Accused of Sexual Harassment

SAG-AFTRA Issues Code of Conduct in Response to Sexual Harassment Climate

Asia Argento Writes Powerful Essay on Refusing to Be Silenced: ‘Women Around the Globe Are Fed Up’

Argento is set to appear alongside other #MeToo activists at the 9th Annual Women in the World Summit in New York City.

Asia Argento has written an op-ed for Women in the World in advance of her appearance at the 9th Annual Women in the World Summit in New York City. The essay directly addresses the #MeToo movement, which Argento has been a major advocate for over the last several months. Argento accused Harvey Weinstein of rape in an exposé written by Ronan Farrow and published by The New Yorker.

Agrento’s essay begins with the words: “Whore. Liar. Traitor. Opportunist.” The actress and filmmaker says that she has been called “all of these things and more” since accusing Weinstein last October.  She writes that for speaking her truth she has been “slut-shamed, victim-blamed, bullied, and threatened on a daily basis.”

“Women everywhere, emboldened by the #MeToo movement, have had the courage to share their most painful private traumas in public only to face blanket denials and further assaults, this time on their character, their credibility, their dignity,” Argento writes. “The larger our number, the more outspoken we are, it seems, the greater the ferocity and frequency of attacks.”

Argento references Catherine Breillat and Vincent Gallo as being “some of the cruelest and most hurtful” attacks. Breillat made headlines last month for calling Argento a traitor for speaking publicly about her history with sexual assault. Argento responds in her essay by calling the director the “most sadistic and inhumane director” she’s ever worked with.

“She calls herself a feminist but puts her own self-interest above those of women,” Argento writes of Breillat. “In a recent interview, she mourned the loss of Harvey Weinstein for European cinema and said not a word in support of the scores of women he raped, assaulted and harassed.”

Gallo, meanwhile, attacked Argento and Rose McGowan in an interview with the publication Another Man. But Argento remains focused and resilient, writing, “I will not allow these squalid gaslighters to go unchecked in their character assassinations. Of me, of #MeToo, of anybody. None of us should tolerate them…Women around the globe are fed up with the shallow, old demands powerful men place on them.”

“What has been done cannot be undone,” Argento says. “What has been revealed can no longer be hidden. What has been said can no longer be unspoken. For speaking truth to power, I have been called a whore, a liar, a traitor and an opportunist. The one thing I will not be though, the one thing none us will be, is silenced.”

The 9th Annual Women in the World Summit will be help April 12 in New York City. Head over to Women in the World to read Argento’s article in its entirety.

Women In Animation Crafts Anti-Harassment Pledge To Create Safety In The Workplace

Women in Animation has joined hands with a group of independent studio owners to craft an anti-harassment pledge affirming there is no tolerance for harassment in the workplace. The pledge has already been adopted by OddBot, Inc., Six Point Harness, Titmouse, Bento Box Entertainment, CounterPunch Studios, Duncan Studio, Incessant Rain Animation Studios, Renegade Animation, Stoopid Buddy Stoodios, Tonko House and Wild Canary Animation. The studio president/owner(s) have…

Women in Animation has joined hands with a group of independent studio owners to craft an anti-harassment pledge affirming there is no tolerance for harassment in the workplace. The pledge has already been adopted by OddBot, Inc., Six Point Harness, Titmouse, Bento Box Entertainment, CounterPunch Studios, Duncan Studio, Incessant Rain Animation Studios, Renegade Animation, Stoopid Buddy Stoodios, Tonko House and Wild Canary Animation. The studio president/owner(s) have…

Self-Help Guru Tony Robbins Apologizes For #MeToo Criticism

Self-help guru Tony Robbins has issued an apology for criticizing the #MeToo movement during one of his large-scale events last month in San Jose, Calif.
“I apologize for expressing anything other than my profound admiration for the #MeToo movement,” his statement says. “I teach that ‘life happens for you, not to you’ and what I’ve realized is that I’ve dedicated my life to working with victims of abuse all over the world, I need to get connected to the brave women of…

Self-help guru Tony Robbins has issued an apology for criticizing the #MeToo movement during one of his large-scale events last month in San Jose, Calif. “I apologize for expressing anything other than my profound admiration for the #MeToo movement,” his statement says. “I teach that ‘life happens for you, not to you’ and what I’ve realized is that I’ve dedicated my life to working with victims of abuse all over the world, I need to get connected to the brave women of…

Confidential Bill O’Reilly Settlements Made Public For First Time

A federal court judge in New York made public the confidential settlements reached between Bill O’Reilly and three women who accused the former Fox News host of misconduct.
Judge Deborah Batts, who is presiding over a defamation suit filed last year, rejected O’Reilly’s request to keep the agreements private. She wrote that his concerns about disclosing “embarrassing conduct with no public ramifications” are not sufficient to trump the public’s right to view documents the…

A federal court judge in New York made public the confidential settlements reached between Bill O’Reilly and three women who accused the former Fox News host of misconduct. Judge Deborah Batts, who is presiding over a defamation suit filed last year, rejected O’Reilly’s request to keep the agreements private. She wrote that his concerns about disclosing “embarrassing conduct with no public ramifications” are not sufficient to trump the public’s right to view documents the…

Russell Simmons Fires Back at Sexual Assault Lawsuit: Accuser Has ‘Mental Health Issues’

Russell Simmons has responded to a lawsuit filed by a woman who accused him of raping her, saying among other things that the accuser suffers from “untreated mental health issues” and has “a propensity to exaggerate.”

In legal papers filed Wednesday, hip-hop mogul Simmons denied accusations by Jennifer Jarosik that he raped her in 2016, saying instead that he “has only ever tried to help” Jarosik, and that any sex was consensual.

“In various court proceedings over the past six years, Ms. Jarosik has been found by a court: (1) to have a ‘propensity to exaggerate’; (2) to suffer from ‘untreated mental health issues,’ and (3) to be ‘unfit to properly parent’ her young son,” Simmons’ answer to Jarosik’s complaint reads. “Those very same qualities are evident in Ms. Jarosik’s Complaint, which is filled with lies against Mr. Simmons, who has only ever tried to help her. Mr. Simmons has never had non-consensual sex with Ms. Jarosik or anyone else.”

Also Read: Russell Simmons Hit With $10 Million Rape Lawsuit

Jarosik, an apsiring documentary producer, filed suit against Simmons in January, alleging that Simmons raped Jarosik at his Los Angeles home in August 2016.

However, according to Simmons’ response, days before the alleged incident, Jarosik sent Simmons texts reading, “I emailed u love” and “love to c u soon.”

After the alleged incident, Simmons’ answer says, Jarosik was similarly affectionate, sending texts stating “Sending love <3,” “I miss u Russell r u ok?” and “Coming to l a. I want to see you ok.”

Also Read: Russell Simmons Accused of Rape in $5 Million Lawsuit

“Additionally, Ms. Jarosik sent Mr. Simmons unsolicited nude photos after the alleged 2016 incident,” the papers filed Wednesday read.

The papers go on to call the complaint “nothing more than a work of fiction as the alleged sexual encounter between Mr. Simmons and Ms. Jarosik was consensual.”

TheWrap has reached out to Jarosik’s attorney for comment on the new filing.

Also Read: Russell Simmons Allegations Under Review by the NYPD

Jarosik’s suit, which alleges sexual assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligent infliction of emotional distress, seeks $5 million in damages.

Simmons has been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women, and has denied the accusations.

Pamela Chelin contributed to this report.

Related stories from TheWrap:

Russell Simmons Hit With $10 Million Rape Lawsuit

Oprah Deletes Russell Simmons From Her New Self-Help Book

Kimora Lee Simmons on Russell Simmons Accusations: ‘Nothing Like the Person I Have Known’

Russell Simmons has responded to a lawsuit filed by a woman who accused him of raping her, saying among other things that the accuser suffers from “untreated mental health issues” and has “a propensity to exaggerate.”

In legal papers filed Wednesday, hip-hop mogul Simmons denied accusations by Jennifer Jarosik that he raped her in 2016, saying instead that he “has only ever tried to help” Jarosik, and that any sex was consensual.

“In various court proceedings over the past six years, Ms. Jarosik has been found by a court: (1) to have a ‘propensity to exaggerate'; (2) to suffer from ‘untreated mental health issues,’ and (3) to be ‘unfit to properly parent’ her young son,” Simmons’ answer to Jarosik’s complaint reads. “Those very same qualities are evident in Ms. Jarosik’s Complaint, which is filled with lies against Mr. Simmons, who has only ever tried to help her. Mr. Simmons has never had non-consensual sex with Ms. Jarosik or anyone else.”

Jarosik, an apsiring documentary producer, filed suit against Simmons in January, alleging that Simmons raped Jarosik at his Los Angeles home in August 2016.

However, according to Simmons’ response, days before the alleged incident, Jarosik sent Simmons texts reading, “I emailed u love” and “love to c u soon.”

After the alleged incident, Simmons’ answer says, Jarosik was similarly affectionate, sending texts stating “Sending love <3,” “I miss u Russell r u ok?” and “Coming to l a. I want to see you ok.”

“Additionally, Ms. Jarosik sent Mr. Simmons unsolicited nude photos after the alleged 2016 incident,” the papers filed Wednesday read.

The papers go on to call the complaint “nothing more than a work of fiction as the alleged sexual encounter between Mr. Simmons and Ms. Jarosik was consensual.”

TheWrap has reached out to Jarosik’s attorney for comment on the new filing.

Jarosik’s suit, which alleges sexual assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligent infliction of emotional distress, seeks $5 million in damages.

Simmons has been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women, and has denied the accusations.

Pamela Chelin contributed to this report.

Related stories from TheWrap:

Russell Simmons Hit With $10 Million Rape Lawsuit

Oprah Deletes Russell Simmons From Her New Self-Help Book

Kimora Lee Simmons on Russell Simmons Accusations: 'Nothing Like the Person I Have Known'