AMC Renews ‘The Terror’ Anthology Series for Season 2, Which Is Set in an Internment Camp

Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.

AMC and Ridley Scott are about to haunt your dreams all over again. And this time they are doing it in a historical, but terrifyingly topical, fashion.

The network announced Friday it’s renewed its first-ever anthology series, “The Terror,” for a second season. This installment hails from Scott (who executive produced the first season) and co-creators Alexander Woo (“True Blood”) and Max Borenstein (“Kong: Skull Island,” “Godzilla”).

According to the official logline, the next iteration of the anthology series will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific.

Also Read: Why Ridley Scott Thinks Prestige Horror ‘Works Better’ on TV

“I’m deeply honored to be telling a story set in this extraordinary period,” said Woo. “We hope to convey the abject terror of the historical experience in a way that feels modern and relevant to the present moment. And the prospect of doing so with a majority Asian and Asian-American cast is both thrilling and humbling.”

“As a history-buff and genre geek (not to mention a conscious American today), it’s clear that truth is always scarier than fiction,” said Borenstein. “This season of ‘The Terror’ uses as its setting one of the darkest, most horrific moments in our nation’s history. The Japanese-American internment is a blemish on the nation’s conscience — and one with dire resonance to current events. I’m thrilled that AMC is giving us the chance to use that darkness as the inspiration for what I hope will be a trenchant, terrifying season of TV.”

The 10-episode second season is expected to air on AMC in 2019.

Also Read: ‘The Terror’ Bosses, Ridley Scott on That ‘Of Course’ Finale, Why Season Was ‘Better’ Than a Horror Film

The first season of “The Terror” — co-created and executive produced by David Kajganich and Soo Hugh — was inspired by the true story of the Royal Navy’s perilous voyage in 1847 while attempting to discover the Northwest Passage, as they are haunted by a supernatural creature. Season 1, which starred Jared Harris, Tobias Menzies and Ciarán Hinds, aired its finale last month.

“‘The Terror’ has given us the opportunity to take a unique approach to the anthology format,” said David Madden, president of original programming for AMC, SundanceTV and AMC Studios. “We loved the concept of beginning with an actual historical event and overlaying it with a fictional horror element, and we are immensely proud of this show’s combination of cinematic scope and intimate character work. We are thrilled to announce a second season and dramatize one of the most chilling and important events of the 20th Century, guided by the vision of the gifted Alexander Woo and Max Borenstein.”

“Our deep appreciation goes to the persistently creative and passionate showrunning team of David Kajganich and Soo Hugh, the incomparable Ridley Scott and the rest of the producing team, and the outstanding cast led by Jared Harris for launching this concept and leaving us on the precipice of terrifying new adventures as we continue with the next chapter of ‘The Terror.’”

Also Read: AMC’s ‘The Terror’ Showrunners Really, Really Want You to ‘Fact Check’ Them – Seriously

Season two of “The Terror” is co-created and executive produced by Woo and Borenstein, from an idea by Borenstein. Woo, who is currently under an overall deal with AMC, serves as showrunner. Executive producers also include Scott, Dan Simmons, David W. Zucker, Alexandra Milchan, Scott Lambert and Guymon Casady.

“The Terror” is an AMC Studios production which hails from Scott Free, Emjag Productions and Entertainment 360. The series is distributed internationally by AMC Studios and premieres across AMC Global markets as well as in certain Amazon Prime Video territories.

Related stories from TheWrap:

‘The Terror’ Bosses, Ridley Scott on That ‘Of Course’ Finale, Why Season Was ‘Better’ Than a Horror Film

‘The Terror’: Were the HMS Terror and HMS Erebus Ever Found?

AMC’s ‘The Terror’ Showrunners Really, Really Want You to ‘Fact Check’ Them – Seriously

‘The Terror’: Ciarán Hinds Is Not Having This Rescue Party Nonsense (Exclusive Video)

George R R Martin Says One of the ‘Game of Thrones’ Prequels ‘Has Been Shelved’ at HBO

Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.

At least one of the five “Game of Thrones” prequels put into development at HBO “has been shelved,” according to “A Song of Ice and Fire” author George R. R. Martin.

“If you have been following along, you know that we started with four, and eventually went to five,” Martin wrote in a blog post on Monday. “One of those has been shelved, I am given to understand … but that does not mean the others are dead.”

With the final season of “Game of Thrones” looming, HBO put five prequels from various writers into development last year. Last week, one of those projects, from “Kingsman” scribe Jane Goldman, was ordered to pilot, and now Martin says another has been put on hold.

When reached for comment, a spokesperson for HBO reiterated that no formal decisions have been made regarding the other four prequels.

Also Read: ‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Will Reveal ‘Horrifying Secrets of Westeros’s History,’ HBO Says

Martin didn’t specify which of the other four projects he was discussing, but HBO has one each from “Thrones” alum Bryan Cogman, Max Borenstein (“Kong: Skull Island”), Brian Helgeland (“Legend”) and Carly Wray (“Mad Men,” “The Leftovers”).

“Three more ‘Game of Thrones’ prequels, set in different periods and featuring different characters and storylines, remain in active development,” Martin wrote in his blog. “Everything I am told indicates that we could film at least one more pilot, and maybe more than one, in the years to come. We do have an entire world and 10 of thousands of years of history to play with, after all. But this is television, so nothing is certain.”

The eighth and final season of “Game of Thrones” will air in 2019.

Related stories from TheWrap:

11 Things From ‘Game of Thrones’ History the Prequel Series Will Probably Explore — and Explain

‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel: What Is the ‘Age of Heroes,’ Exactly?

‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Will Reveal ‘Horrifying Secrets of Westeros’s History,’ HBO Says

Michael Keaton In Talks For ‘What Is Life Worth’; David Frankel Helming From Max Borenstein’s Black List Script – Berlin

Read on: Deadline.

EXCLUSIVE: Oscar nominee Michael Keaton is in negotiations to star in real-life inspirational drama, What Is Life Worth. David Frankel is directing from Max Borenstein’s 2008 Black List script that’s based on Kenneth Feinberg’s acclaimed memoir recounting the inside story of the 9/11 Fund and its effort to compensate victims. IMR is launching the project here at the EFM.
Spotlight‘s Michael Sugar will produce alongside MadRiver’s Marc Butan, Sean Sorensen and Borenstein…

‘Game of Thrones’ Spinoffs Are All Prequels With No Current Characters, George RR Martin Says

Read on: TheWrapTheWrap.

“Game of Thrones” fans hoping for further adventures of their favorite characters in HBO’s newly announced spinoff series will be sorely disappointed, author George R.R. Martin revealed.

“None of these new shows will be ‘spinning off’ from ‘Game of Thrones’ in the traditional sense,” the beloved but notoriously slow writer revealed in a post on his official blog Sunday night. “We are not talking ‘Joey’ or ‘AfterMASH’ or even [‘Frasier’] or ‘Lou Grant,’ where characters from one show continue on to another.”

In fact, Martin shut down fans hoping for spinoffs involving not only beloved characters (“all of you who were hoping for the further adventures of Hot Pie are doomed to disappointment”) but also deeper dives into episodes from the “A Song of Ice & Fire” saga captured in the HBO series like Robert’s Rebellion (“That’s not a story I want to tell just now; it would feel too much like a twice-told tale”).

Also Read: ‘Game of Thrones’ Inspires South Korea to Have Fun With Election Results (Video)

Martin also revealed that there is a fifth HBO spinoff series in the works in addition to the previously announce four — and that not only are all of them prequels but “some may not even be set on Westeros.”

The author also addressed fans of his three Dunk & Egg novellas, which will also not be the source material of any of the new HBO projects. “Eventually, sure, I’d love that, and so would many of you,” he wrote.

“But I’ve only written and published three novellas to date, and there are at least seven or eight or ten more I want to write.

“We all know how slow I am, and how fast a television show can move,” he continued. “I don’t want to repeat what happened with Game of Thrones itself, where the show gets ahead of the books. When the day comes that I’ve finished telling all my tales of Dunk & Egg, then we’ll do a tv show about them… but that day is still a long ways off.”

Also Read: 6 ‘Game of Thrones’ Spinoff Ideas: From ‘Dunk and Egg’ to Robert’s Rebellion

Martin noted that he is actively involved in all of the prequel shows, in some cases as a co-writer, and that four of the writers have visited him at his Santa Fe home. “We’ve spent days together discussing their ideas, the history of Westeros and the world beyond, and sundry details found only in The World of Ice & Fire and The Lands of Ice & Fire,” he wrote.

The writers already announced include Max Borenstein (“Kong: Skull Island”); Jane Goldman (“Kingsman: The Secret Service”) paired with Martin; Brian Helgeland (“L.A. Confidential”); and Carly Wray (“Mad Men”) with Martin.

And yes, he insisted that he is still pecking away at the long-delayed, eagerly awaited “The Winds of Winter” novel in the “A Song of Ice & Fire” saga. “I will confess, I do wish I could clone myself, or find a way to squeeze more hours into the day, or a way to go without sleep,” he wrote.

Related stories from TheWrap:

‘Game of Thrones’ Inspires South Korea to Have Fun With Election Results (Video)

‘Game of Thrones’ Star Sophie Turner Denies Using N-Word in Instagram Video

6 ‘Game of Thrones’ Spinoff Ideas: From ‘Dunk and Egg’ to Robert’s Rebellion

Four Potential ‘Game of Thrones’ Spinoffs in the Works at HBO

Mark Gordon, ‘Narcos’ Helmer José Padilha Unite For Landmark Race Case Pic ‘Arc Of Justice’

Read on: Deadline.

EXCLUSIVE: Narcos helmer José Padilha is at the center of The Mark Gordon Company’s acquisition of Arc of Justice: A Saga of Race, Civil Rights, and Murder in the Jazz Age, the 2004 nonfiction National Book Award winner by historian Kevin Boyle. The Mark Gordon Company will finance an adaptation that Padilha will direct, with a script by Max Borenstein and Rodney Barnes. Gordon, Hawk Koch, Borenstein and Matt Jackson will produce and Josh Clay Phillips will oversee the…