Expect to see a lot more of Mira Sorvino in the coming year.
The actress is starring alongside Max Irons, William Hurt and Leem Lubany in the AT&T Audience original series “Condor,” but she has many more projects in the pipeline, she said at the Television Critics Association press tour on Thursday.
Sorvino said that despite feeling “iced out” after rejecting advances from Harvey Weinstein, as she said in a December New Yorker article, she has received a lot of “goodwill” since a flood of accusations surfaced against the movie mogul.
“But I have to say the general atmosphere since those allegations came out, those revelations, there seems to be a lot of goodwill towards me in the entertainment business and I’ve been getting offers,” she told reporters Thursday. “[I] already have done this really great, fun recurring role on ‘Modern Family,’ which is just a delight, and going into some projects that will be announced in the next few days.”
Sorvino also lauded “Lord of the Rings” director Peter Jackson for saying that Weinstein enacted a smear campaign, telling Jackson that Sorvino and Ashley Judd were a “nightmare” to work with.
“I was reached out to, as you know, publicly by Peter Jackson and by Terry Zwigoff, which was very brave of them both. And very noble of them and I appreciate that,” she said, referring to Jackson’s recent interview with New Zealand’s Stuff.
“At the time, we had no reason to question what these guys were telling us — but in hindsight, I realize that this was very likely the Miramax smear campaign in full swing,” Jackson said. “I now suspect we were fed false information about both of these talented women — and as a direct result their names were removed from our casting list.”
Weinstein denied the accusation in a statement from his spokesperson that read, in part, “There was no indication that Mira Sorvino had any issues until Mr. Weinstein read about the complaints in the news … As recently as this year, Mira Sorvino called Mr. Weinstein and asked if her husband could be part of the SEAL television series [Six] he was producing and Mr. Weinstein cast him; when Christopher Backus received a better offer, Mr. Weinstein allowed him to amicably break his contact to pursue the opportunity.”
On Wednesday, Sorvino published an open letter to Dylan Farrow in the Huffington Post, apologizing for working with her adoptive father, Woody Allen, on the film “Mighty Aphrodite.” Farrow has been outspoken about what she sees as hypocrisy in many actresses who condemn men like Harvey Weinstein, but are willing to work with Allen.
“I am so sorry, Dylan!” the actress wrote. “I cannot begin to imagine how you have felt, all these years as you watched someone you called out as having hurt you as a child, a vulnerable little girl in his care, be lauded again and again, including by me and countless others in Hollywood who praised him and ignored you. As a mother and a woman, this breaks my heart for you. I am so, so sorry!”
“We are in a day and age when everything must be re-examined,” Sorvino’s letter continued. “This kind of abuse cannot be allowed to continue. If this means tearing down all the old gods, so be it.”
Farrow thanked Sorvino for the apology on Twitter, saying, “I am overwhelmed and my gratitude to you cannot be expressed sufficiently in words. This letter is beautiful and I will carry your words with me. Your courage has been boundless and your activism an example for us all. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.”
Last week Sorvino took to Twitter to heap praise on her dad, “Goodfellas” actor Paul Sorvino, after the elder Sorvino threatened to kill scandal-plagued producer Harvey Weinstein in a video published by TMZ.
“He’s gonna go to jail. Oh, yeah. That son of a bitch,” the older Sorvino said. “Good for him that he goes, because if not, he has to meet me, and I will kill the motherf—er. Real simple.”