Lorin Stein has resigned as editor of the Paris Review on Wednesday amid an ongoing investigation into his behavior toward women.
According to the New York Times, Stein sent an email to the Paris Review board apologizing for his behavior and informing them of his decision to step down. The board had launched an investigation in October, after getting wind about negative interactions women had with Stein.
“At times in the past, I blurred the personal and the professional in ways that were, I now recognize, disrespectful of my colleagues and our contributors, and that made them feel uncomfortable or demeaned,” Stein wrote in the email. “I am very sorry for any hurt I caused them.”
Stein also acknowledged that he dated women at the company, including some with whom he had a professional connection. In the letter to the board, he acknowledged the conduct as “an abuse of my position,” though he said all relationships were consensual.
The board was expected to meet again on Thursday to discuss the investigation, according to the Times.
The board formed a subcommittee to investigate Stein in October after his name appeared on the “S–tty Media Men” list, the anonymous, crowdsourced spreadsheet listing accusations of “misconduct allegations and rumors” against dozens of men that circulated earlier this fall.
Since the investigation began, the subcommittee and the magazine’s lawyers received complaints from at least two women about Stein.
“The Paris Review has no tolerance for sexual harassment,” the board said in a statement on Wednesday. “We are committed to whatever is necessary to insure that The Paris Review is free from harassment and discrimination of any kind.”